Saturday, February 13, 2010

Thompson Chemical

I recently separated my shoulder, so I haven't been able to do much of anything. This afternoon, I changed that and decided to head to an old factory campus that's been in the news quite a bit recently. Another company wants to buy it and use it for chemical storage, but due to the sites grim history, nearby residents have been fighting it from the beginning. This site was originally home to the Thompson Chemicals Co. It was the site of a massive explosion and fire in January, 1964 that killed 7 and injured up to 40 more. The blast could be felt as far away as Boston(35-40 miles away). I only explored one building, which I believe to have been known as V-2 back in the Thompson days. I'll throw some links on the bottom of this post with some more historical information and photos.



















Photos of the Thompson Chemical aftermath by Spinner Publications


News Articles, Firsthand Accounts, and More Information

No comments:

Post a Comment