Sunday, March 7, 2010

Third Time Is A Charm

This 150-200 foot water tower has managed to best me and the Dark Ascents guys twice in the past. First was due to poor planning and lack of equipment. It was kind of funny actually. First time I've ever gotten to use a grappling hook. Unfortunately, the rope stretched farther than we planned on and we couldn't get from know to know comfortably. Here's a few shots from that first failed night.





Next time we tried, last weekend, was yet again another fail. This time we brought some ascending gear, more rope, and a rope ladder to lower once James reached the ladder. James made it up and lowered the rope ladder, but it was 12 feet too short. Time running short, we gave up and called the night a fail. Here's a shot I stole from James Ascent from that night. I didn't take any cause I was angry.


We decided to give it a try one more time last night and turns out the old saying is true, third time's a charm. We went back with the same ascending gear, but a much longer rope ladder this time. James lowered it and I finally made it to the ladder, some 20 feet off the ground. The rest of the climb was a breeze for me, right until we reached the top. Here the ladder started to go almost horizontal as the tower flattened out on top. Crazy scary with no railings, cage, or safety gear. Well worth the view though. Laid on my back, just looking up at the stars for a while, basking in our accomplishment. easily one of my more proud, scariest moments of my life to date. Here's a few shots I came home with. Enjoy. I seriously risked my life for these ones. Excuse the poor quality of the shots. It was freezing, I was shaking scared, and the wind was making the tripod wobble. Excuses...excuses...











We found this chick doing stretches on the top. Scarecrow and Grayfox told me she'd be there. Smart kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment