Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The 716 Like Never Before

Cambria and I had made plans with Mr. Meister, Turrel, and Allsion to go exploring the other day, but didn't really put much planning into it. Last minute, we decided to visit the 716 drain, since Allsion had never been draining and none of us had been there in a while. We arrived at the beginning of the underground river and hopped in. The water, usually ankle to knee deep, was almost at our thighs and fucking freezing. Once in the darkness of the drain, the water only got colder and deeper. Still, onward we continued. We stopped by the junction room that splits off from the river, where the CSO is located. Due to some major flooding we've had in our area recently, the CSO definitely overflowed at some point, leaving a completely different smell from what I'm used to in that section. Normally this section smells of a warm shower, this trip it smelled like straight shit. I was willing to push on, but the rest of the group suggested we just cut our losses with that section, so we headed back to the underground river portion of the 716 and continued up it's length. By the time we reached the opposite end of the river from where we'd started, each of the guys nuts were in the water, and the chicks were soaked to the waist. We decided instead of trudging our way back upstream through the river, we'd just cross the busy road section and head back to where we parked, a quarter mile away, completely soaked. No one second guessed us as we all walked up onto the roadway, water to the waist, and crossed on our way back. We got back to the car, and I realized I was the only asshole who didn't bring a change of pants. Fuck it. I'm Ryan ADEman, I don't need pants. I dropped pants when we got to the car and drove back in my boxers and bare feet. I didn't really care, but I can only imagine what Allsion, a newer explorer with us, must have thought. I think she secretly loved it. When we left the cemetery we had parked in, the time was 4:15. The gates to the cemetery close at 4:00. I had Allsion, also barefoot, jump out and open the large gate for us just as the cemetery caretaker walked outside. We apologized for getting locked in and she let us out with a smile, never noticing my lack of pants. A quick stop by Wendy's for burgers, and we called it a day.








No comments:

Post a Comment